1. What contact information should I provide Berkeley College for Berk-Alert?
The Berkeley College Berk-Alert system stores up to 5 phone numbers -- including a cell phone number representing your text messaging device. Please provide us with all of your emergency contact telephone numbers and email addresses, please know that the more information you provide, the more opportunities we will have to reach you in the case of an unforeseen event.
2. If I change cell phone providers but keep the same number, do I need to adjust my Berk-Alert contact information?
No. Once you have specified a particular phone number, it remains in the Berk-Alert system.
3. With a recorded voice call from Berkeley College Berk-Alert, the caller ID I see displayed is "800-446-5400." Who is this?
Whenever calling by Berk-Alert, Berkeley College will always display caller ID information. Please save this number on your cell phone as a contact (e.g., Berkeley College, Berk-Alert) so that you can quickly recognize this number as the source of official incoming Berkeley College Berk-Alert calls.
4. I heard that my classmate received a voice message from Berkeley College Berk-Alert; but I did not. Why?
It is possible that we do not have your telephone numbers loaded in the Berk-Alert system, or it may be inaccurate. Please sign in to Student Self Service: http://my.berkeleycollege.edu/ to verify your information.
5. I received a Berk-Alert message but missed the information. What should I do?
While on the call, you can replay the message by pressing the star key (*) at the end of the message. You may also check your e-mail to locate the link for that message.
6. I received a Berk-Alert message but it kept looping/repeating. Why?
The Berk-Alert system does its best to detect whether it has reached a live person or an answering machine. Sometimes loud ambient noises may cause the system to loop. If this happens, use the mute feature on your phone or move to a quieter location to prevent the message from looping or repeating.
7. I received a Berkeley College Berk-Alert message in my e-mail inbox, but when I clicked the link to play the message nothing happened. Why?
You may not have a default media player like Windows Media Player or Quicktime installed. Download one of these players from www.microsoft.com or www.apple.com and install it on your computer to listen to messages.
8. How do I begin to receive text messages from Berkley College Berk-Alert?
You must provide a text-enabled phone number in the cellular phone field via Student Self Service: http://my.berkeleycollege.edu. Please Note: T-Mobile will require recipients to reply to the confirmation message to be opted into the system via text messaging. All T-Mobile recipients must reply Y BERK or YES BERK to be opted in. Only T-Mobile customers must perform this request.
9. What happens after I enter my cell phone information for text messaging via the Student/Employee web portal?
After you enter your cell phone information online via Student Self Service, http://my.berkeleycollege.edu, Berk-Alert will automatically send a text message to your cell phone. This occurs during business hours between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. PST.
11. From what number will these text messages arrive from?
You will see "23177" as the 'sent from' number sending you the confirmation text message as well as all subsequent Berk-Alert messages. Please save this number on your cell phone as a contact (e.g., Berkeley College Berk-Alert) so that you can quickly recognize this number as the source of official Berkeley College Berk-Alert messages.
12. If I sign up at night, when will I receive the confirmation message?
Confirmation messages are sent during business hours (10 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST). Since we upload data into the Berk-Alert system Monday through Friday only, you should expect the confirmation request to arrive the following day.
13. I did not receive a confirmation message. What happened?
Please check with your cell phone provider to find out if your device accepts text messages. You may also want to check with your provider to see if text messaging has been enabled. You may need to subscribe to a text messaging plan in order to receive or reply to text messages.
14. I did not receive a confirmation message because my phone was not text enabled. I have since contacted my cell phone provider to enable it. Do I need another confirmation message sent?
No. If your text message-capable phone was already submitted to our database, you should be confirmed to receive text message alerts from us. However, you may also test to find out by texting the word "SUBSCRIBE" to 23177 and you will receive the following reply:
[Berk-Alert]: This phone number has already been opted in. More info text reply "HELP" or "STOP [BERK]" to opt-out.