Typhoon Haiyan Relief
Message From the President
December 4, 2013
Dear Berkeley Community,
Our hearts go out to the people of the Philippines whose lives have been devastated by Typhoon Haiyan. Our thoughts, prayers and sympathies are with our Filipino colleagues and our students who have been impacted by this disaster.
The losses may be incomprehensible, but the resilience of the Filipino people, along with the help of the United States, friends and allies from around the world, will light the path to recovery.
At Berkeley College, we will be offering our support to the Philippines through Berkeley Cares. In the coming weeks, Berkeley Cares will be conducting a fundraising drive at all campus locations for the American Red Cross Typhoon Haiyan relief effort. These funds will be used to distribute food, clothing and other necessary supplies, repair and rebuild shelters, provide healthcare and ensure access to clean water and sanitation systems.
There are many ways we can contribute to relief efforts in the Philippines, locally and globally. Together, we can make a difference.
Dario A. Cortes, PhD
Typhoon Haiyan By the Numbers:
- Approximately 14.4 million people affected
- Some 3.6 million displaced
- At least 5,600 dead
- At least 1,700 missing
- More than 26,000 injured
Source: UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Berkeley Cares Typhoon Haiyan Relief Efforts
Berkeley Cares will be conducting a fundraising drive at all locations in an effort to support the American Red Cross Typhoon Haiyan relief effort currently underway in the Philippines. Berkeley College will match funds donated through Berkeley Cares up to $10,000.
Contribute immediately by visiting the Berkeley Cares Typhoon Haiyan Relief Effort page on the American Red Cross website. There are many other ways the Berkeley College community can aid the relief effort as well. Donations will be used to distribute food, clothing and other necessary supplies, repair and rebuild shelters, provide healthcare and ensure access to clean water and sanitation systems.
Get Involved By:
- Making a donation at the Student Development and Campus Life offices at all Berkeley College locations. Receipts will be provided.
- Dropping off a check at any Berkeley College Student Accounts office. Please reference "Typhoon Haiyan Relief" on the check.
- Attending any of the Student Development and Campus Life fundraising events. Check the SDCL Weekly Events calendars in Blackboard for the latest events at your location (Blackboard-->My Organizations-->Student Development-->Announcements).
- Donating online via the Berkeley College Bookstore.
- Writing a message of support. Small cards with the Filipino flag will be available for faculty, staff and students to write "Messages of Hope" to the people of the Philippines. The completed flags and messages will be posted around the Berkeley College locations and online.