School of Professional Studies
B.A., State University of New York, Binghamton
J.D., Ph.D., Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Professional and Teaching Experience
- Chair, Justice Studies, New Jersey, School of Professional Studies, Berkeley College, 2006 - present
- Faculty, Justice Studies, New Jersey, School of Professional Studies, Berkeley College, 2006 - present
- Teaching Assistant, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ
- Teaching Consultant, Hoboken, Paterson, and Hudson School Boards of Education
- Presiding Judge, Municipal Court of Hoboken, NJ, 1987 - 1995
- Acting Judge, Superior Court-Special Civil Part Criminal Division, Jersey City, NJ, 1985 - 1995
- Attorney at Law, 1976 - present
- Juvenile Court Referee, Superior Court of Jersey City, 1996 - 2002
Presentations, Publications, and Research
- Crime, Punishment and Restorative Justice. (Lynne Reinner Publishers, 2011)
- "Paradigms Lost: Repairing the harm of Paradigm discourse in Restorative Justice." Criminal Justice Studies, Vol. 19 (4) pp. 397-422, 2006.
- "The Restoration of Trust: Bringing Restorative Justice From the Margins to the Mainstream." Criminal Justice Studies, Vol 16 (3) pp. 175-195, 2003.
- "Municipal Court Agenda," in Adler, Mueller and Laufer, Criminal Justice, an Introduction, 2nd Edition, pp. 226-227, 2000.
- "A Visit to the Whaling Museum: A Meditation on Whales, Jews and Politics" Tikkun Magazine, September 1997.
- "Crime Deterrence That Works" The Bergen Record, July 2, 1995.
- "A New Vision for Inner-City Schools," in Task Force Report of American Society of Criminology to Hon. Janet Reno, March 31, 1995.
- "Tenure Would Preserve Municipal Court Judges Integrity" New Jersey Law Journal, February 20, 1995.
- "Saving Our Inner Cities," The Bergen Record, November 28, 1993.
Awards and Recognitions
- Berkeley College Teacher of the Year, 2008
- Member, New York State, Bar Association, 1976
- Member, New Jersey State, Bar Association, 1977
- Consultant, United States Department of Justice – Delinquency Prevention and Early Intervention Strategies
- Member, Supreme Court Committee on Attorney Ethics
- Advisor, Supreme Court Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Advisor, Supreme Court Committee on Intermediate Sanctions
- Member, American Society of Criminology
- Member, American Criminal Justice Society
- Member, New Jersey Criminal Justice Educators Association
- Member, American Judges Association
- Member, Hudson County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Criminal Law Task Force, American Society of Criminology
Other Skills, Interests, and Activities
- Founder, Hudson Theater Ensemble, Hudson County, NJ
- Co-Founder, Producer, and Director, Radioland Theater, Hudson County, NJ (the group presents old-time radio shows free-of-charge to senior citizens and civic groups).
- Founder and President, New York Avenue Block Association, Jersey City, NJ
- Founder and President, Jersey City Block Association Leadership Conference (provides training in community organizing and anti-crime techniques for inner-city block associations)
Victims Rights, Juvenile Justice, Mental Health and the Law, Community Policing, Inner-City Crime, Civil Rights, Civil Litigation, Real Estate Law, Estates and Trusts
Please contact Ilene Greenfield, Director of Media Relations, at 973-278-5400 ext. 5122 or igl@BerkeleyCollege.edu to interview Berkeley College staff or for more information.
Berkeley College | Site Map
Copyright © 2015 Berkeley College
Copyright © 2015 Berkeley College