Surgical Processing Technician Program Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Surgical Processing Technician program is to prepare competent entry-level surgical processing technicians with the knowledge and skills required to work in a central supply/sterile processing department of a healthcare facility.
- To provide students with a background in the basic sciences and a mastery of decontamination and sterilization processes.
- To educate students regarding the ethical, legal, and professional principles of surgical processing and the scope of their practice as a patient advocate.
- To prepare students for successful completion of the Certified Registered Central Service Technician Exam, administered by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management.
- To ensure students enter the workforce as qualified and technically skilled surgical processing technicians.
- To educate students to prepare and assemble instruments for distribution, and to process supplies and equipment from operating rooms and nursing units throughout the healthcare facility.
- To instruct students to employ HIPAA, OSHA, Standard Precautions, and other infection control measures in the healthcare setting.
- To prepare students to interact effectively, in a therapeutic and professional manner, with members of the healthcare team.