Clinical Case Requirements
Clinical case requirements are defined by the Association of Surgical Technologists in the Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology, 6th edition, and are as follows:
- Students must complete a minimum of 120 cases.
- Students are required to complete a minimum of 30 cases in General Surgery. Twenty of these cases must be in the First Scrub Role. The remaining 10 cases may be performed in either the First or Second Scrub Role.
- Students are required to complete a minimum of 90 cases in various surgical specialties, excluding General Surgery. Sixty of these cases must be in the First Scrub Role and be distributed amongst a minimum of four specialty cases. The additional 30 cases may be performed in either the First or Second Scrub Role.
- As a student progresses towards graduation, the Surgical Technology program is required to verify through review of the surgical rotation documentation, the student's progression in First and Second Scrubbing surgical procedures of increased complexity.
- Participation in diagnostic endoscopy cases and vaginal delivery cases is not mandatory. But up to 10 diagnostic endoscopic cases and five vaginal delivery cases may be counted toward the maximum number of Second Scrub Role cases.
- Observation cases must be documented, but do not count toward the 120 required cases.