A degree in Fashion Merchandising and Management opens doors.
Fashion Merchandising and Management at a Glance
Fashion is a global industry where fashion designers, manufacturers, merchandisers, and retailers from all over the world collaborate to design, manufacture, and sell products. Graduates of the Fashion Merchandising and Management program can apply for such positions as buyers and purchasing agents.
Educational requirements for buyers and purchasing agents will vary by the size of the organization, with many of the larger stores and distributors preferring applicants who have a Bachelor’s degree.
Typical Tasks Performed
Purchasing agents and buyers purchase products for companies to use or resell. They evaluate suppliers, negotiate contracts, and review product quality. Some job responsibilities include:
- Evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, and delivery speed
- Interview vendors and visit suppliers' plants and distribution centers to examine and learn about products, services, and prices
- Attend meetings, trade shows, and conferences to learn about new industry trends and make contacts with suppliers
- Analyze price proposals, financial reports, and other information to determine reasonable prices
- Maintain and review records of items bought, costs, deliveries, product performance, and inventories
Outlook for Employment
Employment of purchasing buyers and purchasing agents is projected to grow 2 percent through 2024. Although a high school diploma is sufficient for some purchasing agent positions, job seekers with a Bachelor’s degree are likely to have the best prospects.
Industries That Employed the Most Purchasing Buyers and Agents in 2014:
- Manufacturing – 23%
- Wholesale trade – 15%
- Management of companies and enterprises – 9%
- Retail trade – 9%
- Government – 8%
Please note that these are national statistics and projections that might vary by location.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition http://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/buyers-and-purchasing-agents.htm