Surgical Processing Technician Program Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Surgical Processing Technician program is to prepare competent entry-level surgical processing technicians with the knowledge and skills required to work in a central supply/sterile processing department of a healthcare facility.
- Provide students with a background in the basic sciences and a mastery of decontamination and sterilization processes.
- Educate students regarding the ethical, legal, and professional principles of the healthcare profession and the scope of their practice as a patient advocate.
- Prepare students for successful completion of the Certified Registered Central Service Technician Exam, administered by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management.
- Ensure students enter the workforce as qualified and technically skilled healthcare professional in the ever-changing healthcare environment.
- Educate students to prepare and assemble instruments for distribution, and to process supplies and equipment from operating rooms and nursing units throughout the healthcare facility.
- Instruct students to employ HIPAA, OSHA, Standard Precautions, and other infection control measures in the healthcare setting.
- Prepare students to effectively interact with patients, families, and members of the healthcare team in a therapeutic and professional manner.