Faculty Spotlight: Professor Ruth Shaver, Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management, Larry L. Luing School of Business®

Ruth ShaverHaving an outstanding, supportive group of faculty members, with relevant professional experience, is one of the benefits that students love most about Berkeley College. Through our Berkeley College Faculty Spotlight, current and prospective students will learn more about why professors like Ruth Shaver, enjoy teaching at Berkeley College each day.

How long have you been at Berkeley and what courses do you currently teach? 

I have been at Berkeley teaching Human Resources and Organizational Behavior for the last two semesters and in the spring of 2020, I will be teaching Developing Managerial Competence.  

Talk about your teaching experience at the college and what you enjoy most? Any memorable moments? 

I am a mentor by nature and enjoy helping others, so for me every day walking into the classroom is an enjoyable experience, because I get to share knowledge, empower and inspire my students. In my eyes, this is a two-way learning experience, they learn from me and I learn from them.  

Talk about your professional experience outside of the classroom and how it benefits students?   

I have been in the management field for close to 20 years in both the retail and corporate environments, so I have seen it all. Having a diverse portfolio allows me to share all different types of experiences with the students. It is not “one size fits all” in the classroom and they get to see my personal experiences from a different lens. Each student can relate differently, and I think that is important to understand when sharing the knowledge and experience with the class. They often tell me that they enjoy hearing my stories and how it impacts them.  

I currently serve as the chair of the Employee Community Team that supports employee engagement, diversity, and inclusion, provides development and leadership opportunities, networking and ensuring our employees feel appreciated and valued in both of our NJ sites. Sharing this with my students is a great way for them to find ways to engage in their own jobs, communities or daily life.  

What advice would you give to someone who's considering finishing their degree or pursuing an M.B.A.?  

I believe everyone has a different path in life, so I share my unique story. I received my G.E.D at the age of 30 and went on to obtain three more degrees in different areas of studies as a single mother. By sharing this, I hope that it will inspire others to either start or finish their undergrad degree and to encourage them to pursue an M.B.A. It is important to always remind others of the importance of higher education. One thing I do say quite often to people is, “just do it!” “You will face challenges and want to give up, don’t, keep pushing and keep your eye on the prize”. B.B King said, “The most beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it from you.” That quote is powerful and gives them the understanding that what they earn at the end, can never be taken from them, it is theirs to be proud of for life. 

What is the most helpful advice you've received? Who has influenced you the most in life?  

Good questions, to start the most helpful advice was that “it is not about where you start, it is about how you finish,” and that stuck with me for a very long time. To work hard, value the relationships, and take advantage of all the resources in front of you. I always share this message with my students in the beginning of each semester.  

When I think of influences, so many come to mind. To start, it would be my three children. They are my biggest supporters and have sacrificed so much for me to be able to achieve my goals and dreams, their amazing spirts just push me to be a better mother and person overall.   

Most importantly, my former professors here at Berkeley, Dr. Reddi, Dr. Ittoop, and Dr. McAteer. They all have provided me with so much support, taught me strong work ethic, pushed me far beyond my comfort zone and always reminded me of my potential during my time in the M.B.A. program, they still do today. Michael Lincoln, the Director for Graduate Admissions here at Berkeley has also been a huge influence since I graduated in 2017. Mike always throws the spotlight on me and reminds me that hard work should be recognized. I think as educators and faculty, it is important to maintain a rapport with the students, even after they have graduated, being that we are influencers to those we teach. I know how important it was and still is for me.  

What are your hobbies/interests when you are not teaching?  

My hobbies are giving back to the less fortunate, mentoring, high intensity training, and enjoying time with my friends, family, and children.  

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?  

I am a fan of beautiful water, lots of sun, and island culture, so my dream trip would be either to Bora Bora or the Fiji Islands.  

The views and/or opinions in this article are those of the individuals interviewed. The academic achievements and/or employment outcomes described in this article are specific to each individual and are not a guarantee of similar results for past or current students. For up-to-date and detailed information, please visit BerkeleyCollege.edu and view our catalogs at BerkeleyCollege.edu/publications