Empowering lives for 90 years!

Spotlight On: New York City Campus Operating Officer Linda Mauro

Berkeley College Campus Operating Officers (COOs) at the New Jersey and New York campuses, plus Berkeley College Online®, have a variety of responsibilities, including, but not limited to, overseeing day-to-day operations, finances, student and staff retention, space management, community outreach, and monitoring training and professional development programs.

At each campus, there are always new challenges and new opportunities. Though the needs vary, the COOs all agree that they love mentoring, coaching, and discovering the potential in their students.

New York City Campus Operating Officer Linda Mauro talks about learning something new every day and provides some advice.

What kinds of skills have you learned or developed since coming to Berkeley College?

I’ve learned a variety of skills in leadership starting with finding my own leadership style. In turn, this creates a collaborative culture of engagement through interdepartmental communication, teamwork, differentiation, and creativity. I’ve further developed my project management approach, community engagement, and networking. A large part of my responsibilities, which is an ongoing learning process, is with an ever-changing economy and how it applies to budgeting, operations management, and capital improvement.

What excites you about your job?

What excites me the most is seeing our students graduate! Knowing that I’ve helped one person or several, knowing that I’ve helped change lives positively is very rewarding. My students motivate me, and I learn from them. I believe in the Berkeley mission and values and work toward upholding regularly. I truly enjoy working with the faculty and staff.

What sort of career obstacles have you faced, and how did you overcome them?

There is much that goes into the job of a Campus Operating Officer. It is inspiring and wonderful while it is demanding and complex. Like many in leadership positions, you must face adversity and learn how to overcome it. I practice learning from obstacles rather than dwelling on what is beyond my control. Challenges will always be there in work and in life, it’s about how one perseveres through making fair and logical choices or decisions. The COVID-19 pandemic is a perfect example of a large obstacle, and I overcame it by staying positive, focused on my purpose and priorities, resulting in learning new ways to adapt.

How is your Berkeley College campus unique?

The New York City campus is in the heart of the Big Apple with so many attractions surrounding the campus, including the beautiful Bryant Park, theaters, restaurants, and easy transportation. It’s a diverse cultural mecca welcoming all students locally and globally.

What advice do you have for prospective students/current students/graduates?

Don’t be afraid to work hard because hard work always pays off. Don’t be lazy because laziness will get you nowhere. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, but be sure to learn from those mistakes for the next time.

Contact Linda Mauro at 973-278-5400 ext. 1127 or LSP@BerkeleyCollege.edu.

Additional information for prospective students, please click hereFor up-to-date and detailed information, please visit BerkeleyCollege.edu and view our catalogs at BerkeleyCollege.edu/publications