Public Safety Department
Berkeley College Emergency Management Plan
The preceding information applies to all Berkeley College campuses.
Below, please find the public access emergency contact numbers for use in case of an emergency. For security reasons, no site-specific information for each campus is posted on this site.
E. White Plains
BES associates are subject to the plan for the campus at which their office is located. The plan and organization shall be subordinate to state and federal plans during a disaster declaration by those authorities.
The Emergency Management Plan is a campus-based plan that guides the Emergency Management Team during a major emergency. The team leaders or their designees at each campus would be responsible for the following actions:
- Ensuring that notification is made to emergency responders (police department, fire department, emergency medical services, etc.).
- Coordinating with responding emergency services personnel.
- Ensuring that notification is made to the Emergency Management Team (EMT) along with the Crisis Management Team (CMT).
- Ensuring that Command Centers (designated places at each location) are operational with all necessary communication and emergency equipment. (A secondary Command Center will also be designated where reasonable.)
- Determining if a lockdown or a full or partial evacuation of any building is necessary, and initiating that process if warranted.
Contact numbers for emergency service units (fire, police, emergency management service), along with Government agencies (Office of Emergency Management, Board of Health, Environmental Protection Agency, Poison Control Center, American Red Cross, Federal Office of Emergency Management and the National Response Center for Chemical, Oil and Chemical/Biological Terrorism) are also maintained at the Command Centers. Medical facilities, utility companies (electricity, water, gas, and telephone) and contractors (elevator, plumbing, electrical, sprinkler, hazardous material cleanup, and smoke/fire restoration) are maintained along with emergency contact numbers for all current staff, faculty, and students.
Each campus is equipped with a reasonable supply of emergency needs.
Each campus has identified an Emergency Management Team (EMT). Under the team's direction, the EMT will be responsible for assessment and implementation of emergency procedures (evacuations, lockdowns, crowd control, access controls, and coordination with responding emergency services). The EMT consists of representatives from:
- Buildings and Grounds
- Student Development and Campus Life
- Information Systems
- Other designated personnel
In the event of a major emergency, an executive-level Crisis Management Team will gather to direct the handling of the crisis.
In the event of an emergency, Berkeley College’s 800 Information Line (1-866-232-5147) will become an Information Hotline Number that will provide information regarding individuals confirmed to be on campus.
Berkeley College has a mass notification system called BERK-ALERT. Prior to or during an emergency situation, we have the ability to notify students, faculty, staff, and others that we may deem necessary via text messaging, emails, cell phones, and home and business phones of any pending emergency.
Each community member has a role to play during an emergency,
Role of students:
Every student should familiarize themselves with the emergency procedures and evacuation routes in buildings they live in or use frequently. They should evacuate buildings in an orderly manner when an alarm sounds or when directed to do so by emergency personnel. They should evacuate to pre-designated Emergency Assembly Areas.
Role of Faculty and Staff:
Every member of the faculty and staff should familiarize themselves with emergency procedures and evacuation routes.
- Brooklyn Emergency Management Plan
- Clifton/Online Emergency Management Plan
- Dover Emergency Management Plan
- Newark Emergency Management Plan
- NYC Midtown Manhattan Emergency Management Plan
- NYC Lower Manhattan Emergency Management Plan
- Paramus Emergency Management Plan
- White Plains Emergency Management Plan
- Woodbridge Emergency Management Plan
- Woodland Park Emergency Management Plan
- Disaster Information Policy
- Crisis Media Policy
Berkeley College Public Safety Department
44 Rifle Camp Road
Woodland Park, NJ 07424
973-278-5400 ext. 1194