Berkeley College Ranked Among Nation’s Best for Sixth Consecutive Year by U.S. News and World Report

Dependability and consistency are critical when choosing an online college program. For the sixth consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report has ranked Berkeley College among the nation’s best in two categories—Best Colleges for Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs, as well as Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans. The rankings published by the influential media company are based on factors such as student engagement, which includes areas such as best practices, graduation rates, assessments, class size and retention rates; faculty credentials and training; student services and technology; and peer reputation.

Extraordinary student experience

“Berkeley College offers a variety of options for students who seek flexibility in earning their degrees,” said Joseph Scuralli, DPS, Dean, Berkeley College Online®. “Online students can have extraordinary student experiences that parallel on-site campus resources, along with the opportunity to participate in extracurricular programs at the New Jersey and New York locations.”

Despite a spinal cord injury that left him bound to a wheelchair, Jersey City resident, Priyank Patel was able to pursue a higher education in Information Technology (IT) through Berkeley College Online®. “I chose Berkeley because it provided me with all of the courses work that I needed to work in the field including networking, database management, website design, and systems analysis,” he said. “All of the professors were very helpful, and they answered my questions in 24 hours. The whole experience was great, I enjoyed the schedule flexibility.”

Ashley Alba, Career Counselor, recently assisted him in securing a remote IT internship with Adpative Golfers - reporting to the nonprofit’s founder, Gianna Rojas.

“Adaptive Golfers provides equipment which helps people with disabilities play the game like everyone else,” he said. “Gianna gave me full access to understand her work, so that I could help design her new website.”

After graduating with his Associate’s degree in May 2019, Priyank plans to start working before heading back to Berkeley to pursue his Bachelor’s. “I enjoyed web design but I want to also gain hands-on work experience in every aspect of Information Technology - including database management and networking.”

Solutions that reflect today’s professional world

“Online students have the advantage of building their skills at functioning successfully in an online learning environment. They have learned to manage their time and priorities well,” said Michael J. Smith, President of Berkeley College. “A quality online education is a win-win for students and for employers. Increasingly, employers are using online tools for recruiting employees and managing their workforce and job functions. This includes the range of talent acquisition to job training and communications.” 

Male Student at laptop

An early leader in distance learning

Berkeley College’s commitment to excellence in career-focused education began in 1931. Adapting to changing needs of students and the emergence of new technologies, Berkeley began offering online classes in 1998 and quickly became a leader in distance education. The majority of Berkeley’s more than 7,000 students now take at least one online class, and thousands have completed their degrees completely online. Berkeley was one of the first college or university online programs in the world to be certified for excellence by the United States Distance Learning Association(USDLA).

It’s never too late to return to college

cynthia-caruso-commencementFor Cynthia Caruso, many years had passed since she had attended school. Even though she had 13 years of clinical experience as a Certified Phlebotomy Technician, Certified Hemodialysis Technician, Certified EKG Technician, and Transplant Team Coordinator, returning to school to earn a degree did not seem possible. She felt hesitant starting school at her age, but realizing that her son would soon be out of the house, she enrolled in online courses at Berkeley for the convenience.

“I knew I had to work at my own pace,” said Cynthia, who hopes to graduate in 2019 with a Bachelor’s degree in Health Services Management. “I have the diligence to log on every day, work on assignments, and even mentor other students. Berkeley College Online® made it possible to connect without being on campus.”

The support of an online community

The support Cynthia received has inspired her to help others who might have felt the way she did starting school again. She is now a mentor and also has worked on the Student Advisory Board. “I get excited every day to log on and check in with my mentees,” she said. “I am proud to be a student at Berkeley College, and I am grateful I get to share my experience with fellow students.”

After she graduates, Cynthia looks forward to making a difference on the business side of healthcare.

The views and/or opinions in this article are those of the individuals interviewed. The academic achievements and/or employment outcomes described in this article are specific to each individual, and are not a guarantee of similar results for past or current students. For up-to-date and detailed information, please visit BerkeleyCollege.edu and view our catalogs at BerkeleyCollege.edu/publications. Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who completed programs can be found at: BerkeleyCollege.edu/disclosures.