U.S. News and World Report Ranks Berkeley College Among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans for Sixth Consecutive Year

For the sixth consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report has ranked Berkeley College among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans. The influential media company also ranked Berkeley among the Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs.

Recognized as a leading source for college rankings, U.S. News & World Report rates schools on factors such as student engagement; faculty credentials and training; and student services and technology. Berkeley currently enrolls more than 450 military and veteran students. In 2018, military and veteran students comprised 149 of the more than 2,300 Berkeley graduates.

The support to help students succeed

“Berkeley College offers support for military and veteran students and their families, not only at the seven on-site locations, but also through its online program, including a Virtual Veterans Resource Center,” said Edward Dennis, Assistant Vice President, Berkeley College Office of Military and Veterans Affairs. “These Resource Centers, along with the welcoming staff and faculty, contribute to the well-being and success of our military and veteran students as they transition into meaningful careers in the civilian world.”

Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree

Tham Nguyen is a Chief Logistic Specialist (AW), currently stationed at a service support center in New Jersey. She has served in the military for almost 15 years.

Tham.jpg“It’s been a long journey that I would not be able to walk by myself without the support of my family. I am hoping to retire at my 20th year mark,” Tham said. “I would like to open my own business afterwards. Life is full of possibilities, so it doesn’t hurt to prepare yourself.”

She graduated with an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in 2017, and is now working to complete her Bachelor’s degree over the next two years.

“Since I work in the field of logistics, choosing Berkeley College Online® was a no brainer.  I was reluctant to go online at first, but my work schedule leaves no room for a traditional classroom environment - this is my only option,” she explained. “I have adapted to the online program and like the flexibility that an online class provides. I also like the anonymous setting, because it gives you the freedom to express your thoughts and share your experiences. I was surprised at how much I was be able to learn from my classmates.”

Berkeley College Online® is allowing Tham to achieve her educational goal without having to sacrifice her time with family. “Driving to attend school on campus would take an hour out of my day,” she noted. “In this day and age, time is a scarce.”

Her best advice for students who want to pursue a college degree is to do the work, read up on material. “It can be difficult as first, but in time it will help with your research skills, and force you to understand material instead of just memorizing it.

Widely recognized programs

In addition to the U.S. News & World Report rankings, Berkeley’s programs for military and veteran students have received numerous awards and recognitions, including:

• Top School from Military Advanced Education and Transition
  • Military Friendly® Top 10 Nontraditional School and Top 10 Spouse School from Victory Media
  • Best for Vets: Four-year Colleges from Military Times
  • Best of the Best from U.S. Veterans Magazine
  • Military Friendly School from G.I. Jobs
  • Military Friendly School from Military Advanced Education
  • Best for Vets, Online and Nontraditional from Military Times
  • Highly trained staff, numerous opportunities

Berkeley is also a proud supporter of the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program. Our Veterans Affairs associates are trained in GI Bill regulations and financial aid matters. Advisors with military experience are available to assist with applications, enrollment, credit for prior learning, and tutoring, as well as information about a wide range of veterans’ benefits and issues. The College is home to one of 230 chapters of SALUTE – a veterans’ honor society. In addition, students have the opportunity to participate in a variety of military and veteran-related events and activities throughout the year, like the New York City Veterans Day Parade.

For more information on Berkeley’s services and resources for service members and their families, please visit our Veteran's page.

The views and/or opinions in this article are those of the individuals interviewed. The academic achievements and/or employment outcomes described in this article are specific to each individual, and are not a guarantee of similar results for past or current students. For up-to-date and detailed information, please visit BerkeleyCollege.edu and view our catalogs at BerkeleyCollege.edu/publications. For more information about Berkeley College graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed programs, and other important disclosures, please visit BerkeleyCollege.edu/disclosures.