My Dream Project Caps off a Great Season at Berkeley College!

Teaming up with the New York Jets, Berkeley College Professor Kenia Lama; and alumni Marta Deptula and Lauren DiGenova, to transform the basement of Brian – a diehard Jets fan, into the ultimate fan cave, was truly a dream come true!

Coming from a family that gathers around the television every Sunday to watch football, I can appreciate how important it is to have a space to cheer on your favorite team, while being surrounded by memorabilia that shows your undying loyalty, and memories of past seasons! I was able to take all of the skills that I have acquired from the dedicated and inspiring faculty at Berkeley’s Interior Design program to apply to this project. I will surely use it as I graduate this year, and venture out into the world of interior design!

45180749091_83aaaaa83d_k (1).jpg

Just like the Jets players have to work together to get the win, collaborating as a team is something that we often do as interior designers.  With Professor Lama acting as our captain and quarterback, Lauren, Marta and I were able to assist her in the design of this space. As calling a play on the field is to designing a floorplan in a room, we had to make a functioning layout that made sense for the space and the room’s purpose. There were certainly some design challenges that we needed to address – like an unfortunate pipe in the middle of the room. We painted the pipe gang green’s other color counterpart – white, and used this pipe to anchor the custom bar. A closet door that had an obstructive outswing was replaced with a functioning barn door. In the end, the game winning touchdown was certainly the custom, one-of-a-kind black and white mural given to us from the Jets archive and signed on the reveal day by Jet’s defensive tackle, Steve McLendon.

44269766925_51fece2f08_k

Without the curriculum taught in Berkeley College’s Interior Design department, I wouldn’t be the designer that I am today. I have learned how to acknowledge design issues, address them, and fix these issues in a way that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional. Seeing the look on Brian’s face when we revealed to him his new and improved basement was all I needed to remind me that I have made the right decision to become an interior designer educated in the Interior Design program at the Berkeley College School of Professional Studies.

Read more about this exciting experience!