Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Syleecia Thompson, Management, Larry L. Luing School of Business®

Having an outstanding, supportive group of faculty members, with relevant professional experience, is one of the benefits that students love most about Berkeley College. Through our Berkeley College Faculty Spotlight, current and prospective students will learn more about why professors like Dr. Syleecia Thompson, enjoy teaching at Berkeley College each day.

How long have you been at Berkeley College and what courses do you currently teach?

I have been teaching at Berkeley College for 10 years! I teach Managing for Change, Principles of Management, Employee and Labor Relations, and Career & Business Essentials.

Talk about your teaching experience at the College and what you enjoy most? Any memorable moments?

My teaching experience has been amazing. It has been awesome meeting people from all nationalities, backgrounds, and beliefs. Berkeley is quite diverse. I enjoy engaging with students in the classroom as well as watching them walk across the stage. It is rewarding to watch students go from their first business course, BUS1101 class, to the stage.

My memorable moment at Berkeley College is always the first day of class, graduation, and faculty day!

What is the most helpful advice you can give to current and prospective students?

My advice to all college students, new, returning or current is to walk in the classroom on day one as if you are going to get an "A"...Always be optimistic, create your plan of success for the semester and execute! You control your destiny!

Who has influenced you the most in life and why?

My biggest influence in life is my mom. She's a fighter, speaks her mind and lives life on her terms.

How do you like to spend your free time? Any interesting hobbies?

syleecia-thompson-working-out.jpgI love to workout, read, write, go to Barnes & Noble, shop, travel, and eat sushi! I'm simple. I also run my own company, DYG Management Group, LLC. So, I am a full-time entrepreneur and full time professor. I love to help people grow their brands and businesses. I spend most of my time finding new ways to change the world!

If you were granted one super power what would it be?

I would love to read my students’ minds.